Utochkina St. 7
Discussion "Pain and Mistrust: Bi-phobia in Lesbian Community"
Bisexuals are a group that undergoes a double pressure: both in the larger society and within the LGBT community. During the discussion we will speak about stereotypes of bisexual women in a lesbian environment and beyond, our personal experience of bi-phobics or manifestations of bi-phobia and try to understand what causes bi-phobia in a lesbian environment and how it could be overcome.
The guidelines for the topics of the discussion:
• Ignoring and denying a bisexual identity, "You just have not decided";
• «Face control at the entrance to the community": Why it is important for many bisexual to attach themselves in the lesbian community, and why many lesbians do not want to let bisexual women in their midst;
• Stereotypes about bisexuality and pornography ("bisexual constantly think about sex", "bisexual love group sex");
• «One of us is more discriminating," why do many lesbians think that for bisexuals it is easier to live in a homophobic society, and is this really the case;
• Why many lesbians suspect that for bisexuals it is more important to be with men than with women;
Rules and restrictions: Because of the nature of the discussion, it is very important that the space is comfortable and safe, offering everyone a possibility to speak openly. We will communicate in terms of positive discrimination: For men (ie, those who identify themselves as men), the word will be given a second priority.
Moderator: Vera Akulova, researcher of Gender studies, member of the Moscow Feminist group